What you will need:
- White Spirit or Mineral Turpentine/Turps (these are the same thing and are the main component of more expensive options such as bug and tar remover which you can also use)
- Regular household detergent
- A razor blade, ideally in a scraper handle (This is only to be used for removing stickers from windows NOT metal panels)
- A couple of clean rags
- A hair dryer OR a thermos of hot wate
Removing stickers from metal panels
- Wash the area around the sticker with soapy water. This helps soften the adhesive. Keep the bucket with soapy water because you will need it again. You can also use a spray bottle with water and detergent in it.
- Heat the sticker using the hair dryer until it becomes hot, and begin to peel the sticker off from one corner. You can also pour hot water over the sticker from a thermos. You should use your fingernail to get under the edge of the sticker or a hard plastic implement of some sort. DO NOT use a metal implement or razor for removal on metal parts of the car. Once you have a corner coming off be sure to pull the sticker sideways, in a direction parallel to the surface of the car. DO NOT pull the sticker directly away from the car as this places more stress on the paint surface. PLEASE NOTE: Using a hair dryer is not essential but will make a difficult sticker a lot easier to remove - Alternatively you can perform this operation in the afternoon of a hot day when the car and the sticker are nice and hot.
- Once you have removed the sticker there will probably be some adhesive remaining. Use a clean rag and the turps and rub the adhesive until it all dissolves. You will need to move to clean parts of the rag as the adhesive builds up on the cloth. You may need to reapply turps to the rag if there is a lot of adhesive to remove.
- Once the adhesive is removed wash the area thoroughly with soapy water to remove the turpentine residue.
Removing stickers from glass windows
This is essentially the same process as above but does not require heating unless the sticker is difficult to remove.
After Step 1 above, push a razor blade scraper under the edge of the sticker surface to remove the sticker.
Continue with Steps 3 and 4 above.