Your $60 / month Owner Membership includes comprehensive insurance for damage and theft and third party loss.
You no longer need your own comprehensive insurance, so you can cancel that from the date of your installation and your existing provider will refund you for the remainder of your policy.
You are covered when you drive, the borrowers are covered, and you can nominate up to five additional drivers in your household, so everyone can be covered when they get into the car and drive.
- Damage Policy - our policy for definitions of damage and how we handle it.
- Membership Agreement - guidelines and rules for being a Car Next Door member.
- Owner Supplement - owner-specific rules and guidelines.
Borrower at fault
- If your car is damaged during a borrower's booking, they are liable for the cost of repair, not you.
- We will organise the repairs, manage the claim with the insurer and get your car back on the road as soon as possible.
- If you have a preferred repairer we can use yours, provided they can give a reasonable quote. Otherwise, we have our own specialist repairers.
- We'll pay you $25 a day while it is in for repairs, for up to 28 days (provided that our chosen repairers are doing the work).
Make sure that you check your car regularly and report any damage. Borrowers are only required to keep photos from the start and end of their booking for 30 days. If the damage is more than 30 days old we may not be able to identify the person responsible.
The insurance does not cover general wear and tear.
Owner at fault
- If your car is damaged while you have possession of the car (i.e. any time it is not booked by another member) then you will pay up to the first $500 of repair costs (this is your 'Damage Cover Liability' amount). The insurance will cover the rest (subject to the terms of cover that are set out in the Membership Agreement and Owner Supplement).
- If another driver was at fault and you can provide full details of the other vehicle and driver, then you will not have to pay anything.
- We will manage the claim with the insurer and help get your car back on the road as soon as possible.
Hail, fire, theft
- The insurance also covers loss or damage due to fire, flood, hail or theft, or damage incurred while parked between bookings.
- If any of these scenarios occur while you have possession of the car (anytime it is not booked by another member), you just pay the first $500 and the insurer will cover the rest.
Rego, CTP and Roadworthy
- You still handle your own rego, CTP (Compulsory Third Party) and roadworthy. See: What's The Difference Between CTP Insurance & The Damage Cover Provided Through Car Next Door's Fleet Policy?
How often do borrowers cause damage?
- There are very few incidents of damage to cars, but in the unlikely event that your car is damaged, it's insured for its market value under our fleet insurance policy.
- Looking at the data, only 1 in every 1,400 trips results in significant damage (i.e. where repairs cost over $3,000). This includes incidents where a third party was at fault. On average you would need to have a car on Car Next Door for close to 20 years for it to experience a major accident.
- As for the smaller stuff (small scrapes and scratches) - this sits at around 1 in every 120 trips, so the average owner would experience one minor damage incident in 2 years.
What if we don't know who caused the damage?
- If there is a dispute about whether damage was caused during a Borrower's booking, then the Borrower is responsible unless they can prove that the damage occurred before or after their booking.
- We require Borrowers to take photos at the beginning and end of their booking to protect themselves in the event of a dispute.
Want more detail? Check out this detailed explanation of Car Next Door's insurance coverage.
Note that the insurance covers 'damage', and not just minor wear and tear - see this FAQ explaining the difference.